Wednesday, January 28, 2009

More Bacon

I guess I'm not the only one into pork products these days, as today's New York Times notes in a story about a mighty meaty creation called "The Bacon Explosion," whose recipe can be found here: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/28/dining/281brex.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=Bacon%20Explosion&st=cse

I haven't tried the recipe, which frankly looks a little too greasy, even for moi, but if 16,000 people on the web have checked it out, it's certainly worth a try. The fact is, I think the more bad economic news we hear, the more we turn to salty comfort foods.

Believe it or not, I actually ate cereal for breakfast yesterday, something I have not been interested in since maybe October. I'm pretty sure it's because we've had so much sun, which, as the John Denver song so aptly puts it, almost always makes me high.

I threw a handful of dried cherries on top of a bowl o' Go Lean Crunch -- fiberama (8g), with way too much sugar (13g), 9g of protein -- and organic lowfat milk. Was I sated? No. Did I feel hungry in two hours? Yes. So it was a ham, provolone and salami sandwich on 7-grain bread for lunch, and that got me through the rest of the day until dinner, which I made in my cast-iron pan: sauteed chicken, tomato-basil quinoa with salsa on the side, buttered green beans (I'm into frozen organic right now because the ones in the market look gray and are probably grown in toxic chemicals in some faraway land). Much better.

This morning I was back on the bacon-and-egg-for-breakfast bandwagon. I am not so sure it was any less healthful than the cereal. I use a small amount of butter in the pan, fry two eggs, one for me and one for Joe. He and I have devised a good way to make bacon in the microwave, sans much grease, and it comes out very crispy and flat: Layer two paper towels (white is best) on a dinner plate. Place the bacon on top without the pieces touching. Cover with another two pieces of paper towel and layer more on top. Eight pieces are about all this method can handle. Microwave on high, a minute for each piece of bacon, turning the bacon/toweling over halfway through. Remove from microwave with hotpads. Peel the bacon off the toweling. Deelish.

It is another gorgeous day of sun, so I'm heading out to the gym.

1 comment:

Only the Half of It said...

Saw that bacon story. Gross! Not being a big meat eater (in fact, the only "meat" I eat is turkey, a rare piece of chicken, and seafood), my breakfast of choice is sugar. Costco muffins this week. But soon after by lunch or before I get some protein, either yogurt or my latest kick, a couple of eggs either poached or fried, with toast. I hope I don't have to start watching my cholesterol now.
Granola is a wolf in sheep's clothing! Stick to whole grain cereals like Bob's Red Mill Brand.
:-)