Monday, January 26, 2009

More Porking Out


So just as I am preparing my ridiculously calorie-laden morning meal, I glance at my Tufts Health & Nutrition Letter, whose back page headline shouts: "High Egg Consumption Associated with Diabetes Risk." Okay. Now I feel worse than I did when I got up and read the thermometer outside my window. Zero.

I couldn't sleep all night because I chowed down on too much spaghetti and (ouch) Italian sausage, so here I am making more cholesterol bombs for my bloodstream. I did use high-fiber pasta at least, but man oh man, I've gotta stop eating pork sausage with God knows what inside.

During my all-nighter, I watched Cox Newspapers' Bob Deans interview David Sanger, the New York Times chief Washington correspondent, on C-SPAN's Book TV Show, After Words. I'm fascinated and freaked out by Sanger's new book, The Inheritance: The World Obama Confronts and the Challenges to American Power. Sanger points out that America has been in an economic time warp thanks to our involvement in Iraq and Afghanistan, just as China has become a superpower supastar. Who's our daddy? China. No kidding--what with every man, woman and child from now until eternity owing China our inheritances and our grandchildren's, too. That interview runs again on Feb. 1 at 11 a.m. so check it out. Or if you can navigate the strange website and download, do it to it. http://www.booktv.org/program.aspx?ProgramId=10189&SectionName=


I just read that Iceland's government collapsed today, a huge glacial ice shelf in the Arctic is about to collapse, and because I have not had much sleep, I am teetering on the edge of collapse as well.

So, excusez-moi mes amis, au revoir--I'm heading back down to the kitchen to forage in my freezer for a little more comfort food. Most probably it will be more pork.

No comments: